Wednesday, October 15, 2008

 
Straight From The Heart
Jean Chretien
1985

This is a memoir written by Chretien, prior to becoming Prime Minister, about his years in politics.


This book wasn't really read in any context. Chretien isn't really all that on the scene and his book is not the most relevant political book that could be read today. It was on the shelf for a while, and I've been meaning to get it. I'm glad I did. I suppose I also meant to read it before I get to his recent memoir. Again, glad I did.

I don't know if a review exists of this book that doesn't use the word candid. Candid is a trait that really should be standard for all memoirs, and there should be nothing remarkable about a book that is candid. But, it isn't, and there is. This book, I agree, is. Especially compared to Trudeau's embarrassing effort at memoir. This book isn't petty or vindictive, and Chretien does consistently portray himself as honourably, but it seems real. It provides excellent insight into the workings of Canadian governance. Chretien spends a lot of time explaining how things work, and a lot of time giving his opinion on it all. I guess it would be really interesting to sit down with Chretien and have him talk for a couple hours about all he's learned. This book is a bit like that conversation. By the end you feel less cynical about politics, and a bit more hopeful. For all the oportunism and juvenile bickering in politics, Chretien makes it really seem like parliament is populated by people with truly noble ambitions. I've always liked books like this. It is, I think, a bit dry for anyone not into politics. But is also seems to have the same familiarity that made Chretien himself so popular. Reading it could make anyone find politics more real than they had really thought before.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?